Although the school has been on the Hectorage Road/Brionne Gardens site since 1936 its history goes back to 1854. We have the log books maintained by previous headteachers, the oldest dating back to 1863.
In 1854 a school was built in Waterloo Road, Tonbridge (behind St. Stephen's Church). It was built in response to the rapidly growing population of poor cottage dwellers in the Parish. There were separate rooms for boys and girls. The school role was fifty girls but rose to 122 girls in 1868.
It is not apparent as to when the school became known as Hillview School but over the years the school has seen a number of changes and additions.